One year after Merle Haggard’s death, more than 30 stars gathered at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena last night (April 6) to pay tribute to the Hag on what would have been his 80th birthday.
Dubbed Sing Me Back Home: The Music of Merle Haggard, the concert featured performances from Willie Nelson, Keith Richards, Kenny Chesney, Miranda Lambert, John Mellencamp, Dierks Bentley, Sheryl Crow, Loretta Lynn, Hank Williams Jr., Toby Keith, The Avett Brothers, Alison Krauss, Ronnie Dunn, Alabama, Billy Gibbons, Warren Haynes, Jamey Johnson, Kacey Musgraves, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lucinda Williams, Ben Haggard, John Anderson, Connie Smith, Rodney Crowell, Buddy Miller, Jake Owen, Aaron Lewis, Tanya Tucker, Chris Janson and Bobby Bare.
Some of the night’s highlights included:
- Jake Owen and Chris Janson: “Footlights”
- The Avett Brothers: “Mama Tried”
- Miranda Lambert: “Misery and Gin”
- Hank Williams Jr: “I Think I’ll Just Stay Here and Drink”
- Willie Nelson and Keith Richards: “Reasons to Quit”
- Willie Nelson and Kenny Chesney: “Pancho and Lefty”
- Willie Nelson, Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith: “Ramblin’ Fever”
- All Artists: “Okie From Muskogee”
Below, watch as Willie Nelson, Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith and the rest of the all-star crew close the show with “Okie From Muskogee.”
video by Taylor Hendrix